Postcard from the collection of Frank Peters, Times staff
Postcard of what was Redington Beach.
By BETTY JEAN MILLER
©St. Petersburg Times,
Published October 12, 1992
See related article
Editor's Note: The Tides Hotel and Bath Club closed
in October 1995 to make way for condominiums.
Sitting in almost solitary splendor on then-Redington -- and
now North Redington Beach -- is the Tides Hotel and Bath Club,
pictured probably in the 1940s.
In 1936, a group of local men got together to build this facility
as a beach club on 2,200 feet of Gulf front property. Among them
were Harry Playford, Paul Poynter, Roger Wilson, Sen. Nin U.
Bond and Charles Redington. In 1945, Alsonett Hotels, headed
by Charles Alberding, bought the
property from the membership. For many years, it thrived, with
much of the success due to manager Phil Dross and his crew.
The crew included Buddy "B.C." Clark, who did everything
from serving drinks to changing babies; sisters Hester Britten
and Josephine Smith, cocktail waitresses; and swim instructor
George Symons. Of them all, Symons is the only one still at the
club, now in his 42nd year, and is teaching grandchildren of
his first students.
Times photo --
Tides Hotel and Bath Club on North Redington Beach
The club's heyday was in the 1950s and 1960s when the membership
was 3,000 with a long waiting list. It was a social hub for Tampa,
as well as St. Petersburg. John Baldwin and Bruce Watters each
had stores within the Bath Club property. Also on the property
was a hotel, a motor inn, a yacht club, cabanas, cottages, two
pools, a large dining room and later, a ballroom.
The property still includes the above features and maintains
an active membership.
Information in this story came from St. Petersburg Times files.